Some of the Best Practice Takeaways From Unleashing The Crowd
|The Way Crowdsourcing for Ideas is done now||The Better Way: Unleashing the Crowd|
|The problem is defined by managers & crowd not allowed to redefine problem||Crowd is encouraged to redefine problem as they solve it to get more innovation|
|Ideas are generated by each individual prior to joining the crowd||Ideas are developed by individuals combining a variety of knowledge that crowd posts|
|Ideas are the sole focus||Anyone can share any knowledge that they have about problem (not just ideas), allowing the “little guy” to contribute|
|Need lots of contributors to find the one that provides the best idea||Don’t need lots of contributors; need more knowledge being shared about personal experiences with the problem|
|Individuals must offer well-developed idea proposals||Knowledge shared in short posts so easier to skim others’ posts|
|Individuals must be willing to give up their intellectual property rights to their ideas; many don’t||Ideas emerge from crowd knowledge-sharing so IP belongs to crowd, not individual|
Real World Solutions
We base our takeaways on detailed quantitative and case study analyses of 25 crowdsourcing innovation challenges that answered the following questions:
- How do we remove the pests in New Zealand?
- How should we spend our USAID funds for next year to have the greatest impact on developing countries?
- What are some of the services-led strategies that our company can adapt to transition from a hardware and software-centric business to a services-centric business that creates new markets and new customers?
- What novel solutions can an international courier service provider offer US-based small businesses to support their worldwide shipping, logistics, and business needs?
- What new value/services can the company offer on its new platform to create new market segments?
- How might mobile technology be used to improve the employee and client experience?
- How do we become more effective as a managed care company focusing on improving the member experience?"